Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Late Night Snacker

I am a self-professed late night snacker. I love to eat once it's dark out - I don't know if it's just the fact that I don't have to share any of what I choose with my toddler, or if it truly is the 'boredom=eating'. Either way I'm pretty sure that more than a handful of my unwanted pounds can be attributed to this unhealthy habit. Late night snacks tend to be the most unhealthiest of the day - I'm tired, may feel like I've 'earned' it, and my 'eating sensors' are usually turned off. Late night seems to be a 'free for all' zone.
This past week I limited my self to eating late only one night (admittedly I indulged on two nights) and the trick that worked for me to avoid late night bejinges was brushing my teath right after I put my daughter to bed. I made sure to eat a real dinner with her, then brushed with her or as soon as I left her room after putting her to bed. Almost every night I thought as I held the toothbrush up to my teeth, "Am I sure I want to do this? What if I want something more to eat?" Then I thought, "Well, that's the point of brushing - so I don't eat any more!" And I brushed. I must say, after just a week, it seems a little bit easier (knock on wood) to brush sooner and not have a late night craving. It's also helped me go to bed earlier. Imagine that!
If you too are a cronic late night snacker, I challenge you to a week of brushing your teeth when your child goes to bed (or 2 hours before you want to go to bed). If you can make it a month, I bet by just changing this one habit you can loose a pound or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment