Friday, August 28, 2009

Green Muffins

Green Muffins (the actual name, from Parenting Magazine August 2006)
prep time: 15 minutes
bake time: 20 to 25 minutes
yield: 16 muffins (but I can usually get 24 out of one batch)

paper cupcake liners
3 cups flour (I use whole wheat to make them 'healthier')
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs *see 'egg substitute' below
1/2 cup low-fat milk (I use rice milk)
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini, I've found a mini food processor makes the job much easier)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place paper liners in muffin tins (I've also made them without the liners)
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl (this will be the bowl you actually mix everything in), beat eggs with electric mixer 1 minute. Beat in milk, oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini until well blended. Add flour mixture to batter a little at a time and stir to mix - it should be a little lumpy. Spoon batter onto muffin tins. Sprinkle muffins with sugar (I usually skip that part.)
4. Bake 20 minutes, or until muffin tops are golden brown and spring back when you touch them. Cool muffins on rack (or paper towels) 

according to them, per muffin: 194 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 142 mg sodium, 24 mg cholesterol

*egg substitution: I found out my daughter might be allergic to eggs before I made these for her birthday, so I used an egg substitute I found of 2 TBS water, 1 TBS oil & 2 tsp baking powder to equal one egg. I also found you can substitute 1 banana for 1 egg or 1/4 cup applesauce for 1 egg in baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment